How do these two elements of the modern world work alongside each other? How do they conflict and, in other ways, support one another? For a Christian entering the largely secular world of online dating, these are questions that you are likely to face on a daily basis.
In many ways, online dating provides you with a whole set of new tools which no other generation has been able to enjoy before. Learning how to use these advantages to make the right connections is a skill in itself, so how can you navigate the world of online dating when you are approaching it from a very specific point of view; for example, as a Christian single hoping to find love?
Online Dating for Christians: What You Need to Know
The best methods for finding happiness through online dating are more or less matters of common sense. There is no one true path to finding love online, but if you follow these helpful tips, your chances of finding a perfect match will greatly increase.
- Be Honest. This is the first rule of building any kind of lasting relationship of trust and respect. But more so if you are a Christian online, be honest about how important your beliefs are to you.
- Be Realistic. It is great to have an idealised image of your perfect match, but waiting for them to appear out of the blue may mean a long wait. So use online profiles to find common ground, rather than looking for ways where your date does not measure up.
- Be Open. In the world of online dating, the profile page is where you make that all important first impression. So be generous with your details, express yourself clearly and openly, and show that you are a warm person open to new ideas and experiences.
- Be Safe. Every reputable dating site has their own guidelines for arranging a safe first meeting. Read as many of these as you can and follow them all. Choose a familiar, public space, do not share any more personal contact details beyond an email address or, at most, a mobile phone number.
- Discover what you really want. Once you have familiarised yourself with the world of online dating, you will begin to learn more about what you really want – both out of life and any future partner. Many dating sites cater for a specific clientele, including people for whom faith is a deciding factor. If your beliefs play a leading role in your personal life, then there is no better place to start than with one of these services.
Online Dating: Why it Works for Christians
Online dating may once have been viewed as something a little out of the ordinary. Yet in the last ten years, online dating has flourished, and an increasing number of us are meeting that special someone for the first time online. Why? Well, first of all, the growth of social media has played a big part in getting people used to the idea of making friends on the internet and online dating has evolved to match these tastes and expectations, mimicking the social media experience.
But there are many more reasons why we are all making use of online dating increasingly often these days, the most common of them being:
- Broadening your social circles
- Making connections based on the things that really matter
Finding love online is in fact ideally suited to anybody who gives priority to their beliefs and spiritual outlook on life. Rather than spending time organising a date, meeting for the first time, talking things over and - only then - discovering that you do not match up where it really counts, an online profile will give you all of that crucial information right there on the page. It creates a more sensitive system: a system that lessens the potential for awkward situations and rejection. With online dating you know immediately who does and who does not share your values and world view. Avoiding disappointment is simply a matter of contacting only those who match up.
But the benefits of online dating go beyond that. The convenience of browsing profiles at any time of the day, whenever you have a few spare moments, is ideal for the modern, hectic lifestyle. It expands your social circle, too, allowing you to meet and connect with people anywhere in the world based not on shared acquaintances and geographic location, but on common beliefs and interests.
Lastly, you can meet many great and fascinating people online. With so many services and secure sites to choose from, online dating makes finding a match easier and more enjoyable, than ever before.